Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Use of cognitive and behavioral therapy and medications for treatment of anxiety and related disorders such as depression.
I treat depressive disorders by cognitive bahvioral therapy and medication.
I do general management of the personality disorders with psychotherapy and medications. Personality distortions due to stress are a specialty.
I perform medical legal evaluations to determine psychological causation and injury for the medical board of California, worker's compensation and occasionally other venues.
I believe in a high quality individualized patient care using proven empirical techniques where such information is available. It is a highly discrete practice able to provide personalized care.
This is a one physician office although I use support staff from time to time for specific tasks
James Harry Reich, MD, MPH
1973 BA University of California, Berkeley
1978 MD University of Colorado Medical Center, Denver
1984 M.P.H. Yale University, Department of Epidemiology
1993 MA Brown University (ad eundem)
Internship and Residencies:
1978-82 Psychiatry Resident, University of California Davis Medical Center
1974-75 Student Fellow of Psychiatry (Development of Infant Facial
Expressions) University of Colorado Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry.
1982-84 N.I.M.H. Research Fellow in Psychosocial Epidemiology Yale University.
1982-84 Bush Fellow in Public Policy, Yale University,
Department of Psychology.
Non Academic Employment:
1994-1996 Private practice Boston, MA.
1996-present Private practice San Francisco, CA
1999- present Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor, Stanford Departement of
7/1999-2000 Staff Physician Stanford Department of Psychiatry
7/21/07-present Clincal Professor of Psychiatry University of
California Medical Center at San Francisco.
1997-7/21/07 Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry University of
California Medical Center at San Francisco.
1991- June 2002 Research Associate in Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School.
Jan 1992- Jan 1994 Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Brown University
1992- 1993 Lecturer in Psychiatry, Mass. Mental Health Center, Harvard
1987-1992 Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard University,
Mass. Mental Health Center.
1984-1987 Assistant Professor University of Iowa College of Medicine in Psychiatry.
1982-84 Clinical Instructor of Psychiatry, Yale University School of
HONORS AND AWARDS
Founders Award from the Association for Research in Personality Disorders (ARPD) granted in May 2007.
Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association, 1996 - present.
Listed American Men and Women of Science, 1989.
Listed Men of Achievement (1993 )
KEYWORDS/AREAS OF INTEREST
Anxiety disorders, personality disorders, personality disorders and outcome of treatment.
1980-1982 American Medical Association
1982-present American Psychiatric Association
1985-1997 American Psychopathological Association
1986-1995 American Academy of Clinical Psychiatrists
1986 Society for Epidemiologic Research
1988-1990 Royal Society of Medicine
1988-present Association for Research in Personality Disorders
1990 Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
1991-present International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders
1995-present American Anxiety Disorder Association
1995-present Northern California Psychiatric Association
1998-present American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
1998-present California Applicants Attorneys Association
2003, 2005-7 Reviewer British Journal of Psychiatry
2006 Reviewer Current Opinion in Psychiatry
2003 Reviewer Journal of Psychiatric Practice
2003 Reviewer Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy
1988- 2007 Reviewer American Journal of Psychiatry
2007 Reviewer Depression and Anxiety
2001, 2004, 2007 Reviewer Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica
1999 Reviewer for Journal of Affective Disorders
1998 Reviewer for Harvard Review of Psychiatry
1984-1988, 1992 Reviewer for Archives of General Psychiatry
1985-1990, 1992-94,99-00 Reviewer for Journal of Nervous and Mental
1987, 1991 Reviewer for Journal of Anxiety Disorders
1987, 1989-1993, 2004 Reviewer for Comprehensive Psychiatry
1987, 1989 Reviewer for Journal of Clinical Psychiatry
1987-1988,1990, 1993-95, 2003 Reviewer for Journal of Personality Disorders
1988-1994, 1996-present Reviewer for American Journal of Psychiatry
1989-1993, 1995, 2000 - 2004 Reviewer for Journal of Psychiatry Research
1990 Reviewer for Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences
1992 Reviewer for Psychosomatics
1991 Reviewer for International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine
1996 Reviewer for Social Psychiatry and Epidemiology
2006 Reviewer for Annals of Clinical Psychiatry
2006 Reviewer for module II WPA/ISSPD Educational Program on the
Personality Disorders (Simonsen E, Rononningstam E Millon T
Eds.) 2006, World Psychiatric Association.
2007 to present Member of Editorial Board, Annals of Clinical Psychiatry
1/2007 to present Member of editorial board Personality and Mental Health
1996 APA committee to Handbook to Psychiatric Measures and Outcomes.
1999 Consultant to the personality section of the APA DSM-IV Text
revision work group.
1988-1993 Founder and first president of the Association for Research in Personality Disorders (ARPD)
1993-1998 Treasurer /Membership Chair of the Association for Research in
Personality Disorders (ARPD)
1998- Board member Association for research in Personality Disorders
1995- Board member of the International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders (ISSPD)
1. Reich J: Familiality of DSM III anxious personality cluster. Presented at the first meeting of the International Society for Personality Disorders, 8/4/88, Copenhagen, Denmark.
2. Reich J: Familiality of DSM-III self-defeating personality disorder. Presented at the VIIIth World Congress of Psychiatry, October 15, 1989, Athens, Greece.
3. Reich J: Moderator of international personality disorder study group discussion "Personality disorder research in the Netherlands and Germany". Held May 15, 1990, New York. (In conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association).
4. Reich J: Discussant to presentation on etiology of personality disorders. World Psychiatric Association regional symposium: The etiology of mental disorders. Oslo, Norway, August 25, 1990.
5. Reich J: The effect of personality disorders on the treatment of Axis I disorders. World Psychiatric Association regional symposium: The etiology of mental disorders. Oslo, Norway, August 26, 1990.
6. Reich J et al.: The relationship between anxiety and personality disorders, including the effects of personality on anxiety treatment outcome. Presented to The Second International congress on the Disorders of Personality, Oslo, Norway, August 1, 1991.
7. Reich J: The Epidemiology of DSM-III Personality Disorders and the Effect of Personality Pathology on Outcome of Axis I Disorders. Invited Lecture at the University of Geneva Department of Psychiatry, March 6, 1992, Geneva, Switzerland.
8. Reich J: Effect of personality disorders on treatment outcome of Axis I disorders. Presented to the Bichat Hospital, Paris, France April 23, 1993.
9. Reich J: A review of some work on the family history of anxiety and personality disorders. Presented at the University of Geneva Medical School, April 26, 1993, Geneva, Switzerland.
10. Reich J: Personality and predisposition to PTSD. Presented at the University of Geneva, Feb 14, 1994, Geneva, Switzerland.
11. Reich J: Personality and outcome of Axis I disorders. Presented at the Netherlands Center for the Study of Addictive Disorders Feb 11, 1994, Amsterdam, Holland.
12. Reich J: A family history method for the DSM-III anxiety disorders and personality clusters. Presented at the Salpietiere, Feb.18, 1994, Paris, France.
13. Reich J: Understanding the relationship of Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder Using the Family History Method. Presented at University of Dublin Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry , October 6, 1994, Dublin, Ireland.
14. Reich J: Treatment of Anxiety Disorders. Presented at Modum Bads Nervesanatorium, Department of Psychiatry, October 10, 1994, Vikersund, Norway.
15. Reich J: The relationship of the anxiety and the personality disorders. Presented at Modum Bads Nervesanatorium, Department of Psychiatry, October 10, 1994, Vikersund, Norway.
16. Reich J: Methodological difficulties in research in the personality disorders. Presented at the University of Oslo Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, October 11, 1994, Oslo, Norway.
17. Reich J: Personality and Treatment of Axis I disorders. Presented at the University of Oslo Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, October 11, 1994, Oslo, Norway.
18. Reich J: Treatment of Anxiety Disorders. Presented at Ulleval Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, October 12, 1994, Oslo, Norway.
19. Reich J: The relationship of the anxiety and the personality disorders. Presented at Ulleval Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, October 12, 1994, Oslo, Norway.
20. Reich J: Methodological difficulties in research in the personality disorders. Presented at Ostmarka Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Trondheim University, October 13, 1994, Trondheim, Norway.
21. Reich J: Personality and Treatment of Axis I disorders. Presented at Ostamark Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Trondhiem University, October 13, 1994, Trondhiem, Norway.
22. Reich J: Comparison of Personality Disorders in Different Anxiety Disorder Diagnoses. Presented at the Fourth International Congress on the Disorders of Personality, June 24, 1995, Dublin, Ireland.
23. Reich J: Chair of the paper session: Aetiology of Personality Disorders. Fourth International Congress on the Disorders of Personality, June 22, 1995, Dublin, Ireland.
24. Reich J: ?The interaction of state effects, personality measurement and outcome of Axis I treatment.? Presented at the 5th International Congress on the Disorders of Personality, Vancouver, British Columbia, June 25, 1997
25. Reich J: ?Stress Induced Personality Disorders.? Presented at the 6th International Congress on the Disorders of Personality, September 18, 1999, Geneva, Switzerland.
26. Reich J: Chairman of the symposium ?Instruments to measure Personality Disorders.? At the 6th International Congress on the Disorders of Personality, September 17, 1999, Geneva, Switzerland.
27. Reich J: The Relationship of Social Phobia to the Personality Disorders. Presented at ?New Trends in Personality Disorders,? Paris, France, June 23, 2000.
28. Stress Induced Personality Disorders. Presented at ?New Trends in Personality Disorders,? Paris, France, June 22, 2000.
29. Reich J. Stress and Personality, presented at the Fifth European Conference on personality disorders, ?Personality Disorders: Neurobiology and Psychotherapy,? July 5, 2002, Munich, Germany.
30. Reich J, Hoffman S: The evidence for brief reversible (stress induced or state) personality disorders. VIII International ISSPD (International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders) Congress, October 10, 2003, Florence Italy.
31. Reich J: State and Trait in Personality Disorders. Presented at the 10th meeting of the International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders (ISSPD) International Meeting, Hague, Netherlands, September 20, 2007
RECORD OF GRANT SUPPORT
(All grants listed are past grants.)
a. Veterans Administration RAGs grant.
1987-1989 $25,000/ year for two years ($50,000 total) to establish the feasibility of validity research on the DSM-III anxious personality disorder cluster.
b. Wellington Fund (competitive funding.)
1) 1987-1988. $10,667. This grant was to analyze a data set to determine the familiality of the DSM-III anxious personality disorder cluster.
2) 1988-1989. $9,850. This was to study the relationship between the DSM-III Avoidant and dependent personality disorders.
c. Milton Fund (competitive funding.)
1987-1989. $6,000. This grant was to analyze a data set to determine the relationship between the DSM-III anxious personality disorder cluster and the DSM-III anxiety disorders.
1992-1993 $1000. This grant was to analyze data on the familial relationship of the anxiety and DSM-III anxious cluster personality disorders.
d. Special Receipt account.
This $18,000 fund was a carryover from an Upjohn project at a previous site. This has been used in support of general research objectives of the other grants and projects. (Carried over in 1984.)
e. Harvard Longitudinal Study of Anxiety (HARP).
I was the site investigator of one of the sites of the Harvard Longitudinal Study of Anxiety (HARP). 1988-1989. This project
was supported by the Upjohn Company. It brought in about $22,000 a year for two years.
f. Competitive Institutional Research Awards, University of Iowa, Department of psychiatry (competitive funding.)
Three separate awards for 1987, 1988,1989. Each award was worth $20,000 (total value of awards for three years approximately $60,000.) These awards were given for basic nosological research in the anxiety disorders. These were competitive awards geared to new investigators.
g. Upjohn grant to study the treatment of panic disorder with alprazolam.
1984-1986 I was a junior investigator on this grant with a 25% equity stake. The total grant ran several hundred thousand dollars. The roll-over amount eventually transferred to Harvard is listed under "d."
h. Upjohn Grant.
To study the effect of alprazolam on the treatment of social phobia. 1986-1987. $10,000. I was the primary investigator on this grant.
i. NIMH small grant.
To study the family history method for anxiety and personality disorders. 1985-1986. $25,000.
f. Educational grants to fund professional conferences.
Upjohn, 1990, $2,000. Upjohn, 1991, $2,000, Upjohn 1992, $3,500, Upjohn 1993 $2,000, Upjohn 1996 $300
Sandoz, 1991, $2,000, 1992, $500
Pfizer, 1992, $500, 1994 $500
CIBA-GEIGI, 1992, $500
SmithKline Beecham, 1993 $1000
Glaxo, 1995 $1000
Wyeth, 1996 $2500
Lilly, 1996 $1000
g. Brown University Department of Psychiatry Grant
This was a competitive grant which was awarded for
$12,000 from 1992-1993 to study how anxiety and personality disorders run in the relatives of anxiety patients.
1. Reich J: The effect of preferred learning materials on transference of a learned skill. Journal of Psychology 93:129-135, 1976.
2. Emde R, Campos J., Reich J, et al.: Infant smiling at five and nine months: analysis of heart rate and movement. Infant Behavior and Development 1:26-35, 1978.
3. Reich J: The use of proverbs in the modern mental status exam. Comprehensive Psychiatry 22:528-531, 1981.
4. Reich J, Tupin J, Abramowitz S: DSM III: Psychiatric diagnosis in patients attending a chronic pain clinic. American Journal of Psychiatry 140:1495-1498, 1983.
5. Reich J, Rosenblatt RM, Tupin J; DSM III: A new nomenclature for classifying patients with chronic pain. Pain, 16:201-206, 1983.
6. Reich J, Steward M, Rosenblatt R: Socialization into illness: A case study of four generations. Anesthesia and Analgesia, 63:163-165, 1984.
7. Reich J: Psychiatric Diagnosis and Competency to Stand Trial, Masters of Public Health Thesis, Yale University Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, 1984.
8. Rosenblatt RM, Reich J, Dehring D: Tricyclic Antidepressants in Treatment of Depression and Chronic Pain: Analysis of the Supporting Evidence. Anesthesia Analgesia 63:1025-32, 1984.
9. Reich J, Frances A: A critique of the structural interview method of diagnosing borderline personality disorders. Psychiatric Quarterly 56:229-235, 1984.
10. Reich J: Instruments measuring DSM III, Axis II personality disorders. Comprehensive Psychiatry 26:352-363, 1985.
11. Reich J, Steward M, Tupin J: Prediction of chronic pain patients who respond to therapeutic intervention. J Clinical Psychiatry 46:425-427, 1985.
12. Reich J, Wells J: Psychiatric diagnosis and competency to stand trial. Comprehensive Psychiatry 26:421-432, 1985.
13. Reich J: DSM III diagnosis in Social Security disability applicants referred for psychiatric evaluation. J Clinical Psychiatry 47:81-82, 1986.
14. Reich J, Thompson WD: Marital status in schizophrenics and alcoholic patients. J Nerv Ment Dis 173:491-502, 1985.
15. Reich J: Disagreements between court and psychiatrists on competency to stand trial. J Clin Psychiatry 47:29-30, 1986.
16. Reich J, Yates W, Woolson R: Application of the Kish method of respondent selection to a self report mail survey. Am J Public Health 76:206, 1986.
17. Reich J, Wells J: The association between legal charge and psychiatric diagnosis in a competency to stand trial population. Soc Psychiatry 21:206-210, 1986.
18. Reich J: Factors related to psychiatric disability, Soc Psychiatry 21:15-16, 1986.
19. Reich J, Wells J: Defendants with repeated competency to stand trial evaluations. J Nerv Ment Dis 174:120-122, 1986.
20. Reich J, Noyes R, Coryell W, O'Gorman T: The Effect of State Anxiety on Personality Measurement. Am J Psychiatry 143:760-763, 1986.
21. Noyes R, Reich J, Clancy J: Reduction of hypochondriasis with treatment of panic disorder. Br J Psychiatry 149:631-636, 1986.
22. Reich J: The relationship between early life events and DSM III personality disorders. Hillside Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 8:164-173, 1986.
23. Neenan P, Felkner J, Reich J: Schizoid personality traits developing secondary to panic disorder. J Nerv Men Dis 174:483,1986.
24. Reich J, Noyes R: The association between avoidant and schizoid personality disorder (ltr). American Journal of Psychiatry 143:1062, 1986.
25. Reich J, Thompson, WD: DSM-III Personality Disorder in Three Populations. Br J Psychiatry 150:471-475, 1987.
26. Reich J: Prevalence of DSM III-R self defeating (masochistic) personality disorder in normal and outpatient population. J Nerv Ment Dis 175:52-54, 1987.
27. Reich J, Black DW, Jarjoua D: Architecture of research in psychiatry 1953-1983. Arch of Gen Psychiatry 44:311-314, 1987.
28. Reich J, Noyes R, Hirschfeld RP., et al: State effects on personality measures in depressed and panic patients. Am J Psychiatry 144:181-187, 1987.
29. Reich J, Noyes R, Troughton E: Dependent personality in panic patients with phobic avoidance. Am J Psychiatry 144:323-327, 1987.
30. Reich J: Sex prevalence of DSM-III personality disorders. Am J Psychiatry 144:485-489, 1987.
31. Reich J, Thompson WD: Comparison of Psychiatric Diagnoses in Three Populations. Hillside Journal of Psychiatry 9:36-46, 1987.
32. Reich J, Chaudry D: Personality of Alcohol Panic Disorder Patients J Nerv Ment Dis 175:224-228, 1987.
33. Reich J, Noyes R: DSM-III personality disorders in unrecovered panic and depressed patients. J Anx Dis 1:123-131, 1987.
34. Reich J, Noyes R, Troughton E: Comparison of Instruments to Measure DSM-III, Axis II. Proceedings of the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory Conference 1986 Millon T (Ed) National Computer Systems Minnetonka MN, 1987 pp. 223-235.
35. Reich J: Instruments measuring DSM III and DSM III-R personality disorders. J Personality Disorders 1:220-240, 1987.
36. Reich J: DSMIII Personality Disorders and Family History of Mental Illness. J Nerv Ment Dis 176:45-49, 1988.
37. Reich J, Noyes R: Validation of DSMIII Panic Disorder Subdivisions (ltr) Am J Psychiatry 114:1625,1987.
38. Reich J, Noyes R: A comparison of DSM-III personality disorders in acutely ill panic and depressed patients. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 1:123-131,1987.
39. Reich J, Troughton E: Frequency of Personality Disorders in Panic, Outpatient and Normal Populations. Psychiatry Research 26:89-100,1988.
40. Reich J, Nduaguba M, Yates M: Age and Sex Distribution of DSMIII Personality Cluster Traits in a Community Population. Comprehensive Psychiatry 29:298-303, 1988.
41. Reich J, Noyes R, Yates W: Anxiety Symptoms Distinguishing Social Phobia Panic and Generalized Anxiety Disorders. J Nerv Ment Dis 29:510-514, 1988.
42. Kathol RG, Noyes R, Lopez A, Reich J: Relationship of Urinary Free Cortisol Levels in Patients with Panic Disorder to Symptoms of Depression and Agoraphobia. Psychiatry Research 24:211-221, 1988.
43. Reich J, Troughton E: A comparison of DSMIII Personality Disorders in Recovered Depressed and Panic Disorder Patients. J Nerv Ment Dis 176:300-304, 1988.
44. Reich J, Yates M: A Pilot Study of Treatment of Social Phobia with Alprazolam. Am J Psychiatry 145:590-594, 1988.
45. Reich J: Familiality of DSMIII Dramatic and Anxious Personality Disorder Clusters. J Nerv Men Dis 177:96-101, 1989.
46. Reich J, Noyes R, Yates W: Treatment of Avoidant Personality Traits in a social phobia population. J Clin Psychiatry 50:91-95, 1989.
47. Yates WR, Sellini B, Reich J: Comorbidity of Bulimia Nervosa and Personality Disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 50:57-59, 1989.
48. Reich JH: DSMIII personality disorders and the outcome of treated panic disorder. Am J Psychiatry 145:1149-1153, 1988.
49. Reich J, Yates W, Nduaguba M: Prevalence of DSMIII Personality Disorders in the Community. Social Psychiatry 24:12-16, 1989.
50. Reich J: A family history method for DSMIII Anxiety and Personality Disorders. Psychiatry Research 26:131-139, 1988.
51. Reich J, Yates W: Family history of psychiatric disorders in social phobia. Comprehensive Psychiatry 29:72-75, 1988.
52. Reich J: Update on instruments to measure DSM-III and DSM-III-R personality disorders. J Nerv Mental Dis 177:366-371, 1989.
53. Reich J, Boestler H, Yates W, Nduagula M: Utilization of medical resources in persons with DSM personality disorders in a community sample. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine 19:1-9, 1989.
54. Black DW, Yates WR, Reich JH, Bell S, Goldstein RB, Mason E: DSM-III personality disorder in bariatric clinic patients. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 1:33-39, 1989.
55. Reich J: Criteria validity for DSM-III-R self-defeating personality disorder. Psychiatry Research 30:145-155, 1990.
56. Reich J: Effect of DSM-III Personality Disorders on Outcome of Tricyclic Antidepressant ? Treated Nonpsychotic Outpatients With Major or Minor Depressive Disorder. Psychiatry Research 32:175-181, 1990.
57. Gunderson JG, Links PS, Reich JH: Competing models of personality disorders. Journal of Personality Disorders 5:60-69, 1991.
58. Reich J: The effect of personality on the outcome of panic disorder patients treated with placebo. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 178:699-702, 1990.
59. Reich J: The effect of DSM-III personality disorders on outcome of tricyclic antidepressant treated nonpsychotic outpatients with major depressive disorder. Psychiatry Research 32:175-183, 1990.
60. Reich J: Criteria for diagnosing DSM-III borderline personality disorder. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 2:189-199, 1990.
61. Coryell W, Noyes R, Reich J: The prognostic significance of HPA-axis disturbance in panic disorder: A three year follow-up. Biological Psychiatry, 29:96-102, 1991.
62. Reich J: The familiality of DSM-III self defeating personality. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 178:597-598, 1990.
63. Noyes R, Reich J, Christiansen J, Suelzer M, Pfohl B, Coryell W: Outcome of panic disorder: Relationship to diagnostic subtypes and comorbidity. Archives of General Psychiatry:47:809-819,1990.
64. Reich J: Comparison of Males and Females with DSMIII Dependent Personality Disorder. Psychiatry Research 33:207-214,1990.
65. Reich J: The relationship between DSMIII avoidant and dependent personality disorders. Psychiatry Research 34:271-278, 1991.
66. Reich J, Warshaw M, Petersen L, White K, Lavori P, Yonkers K: Comorbidity of Panic and Major Depressive Disorder. Journal of Psychiatric Research 27:23-33, 1993.
67. Noyes R, Reich J, Suelzer M, Christiansen J: Personality Traits Associated with Panic Disorder: Change Associated with Treatment. Comprehensive Psychiatry 32:283-295, 1991.
68. Reich J: DSMIII Avoidant and Dependent Personality Traits in Relatives of Panic Patients, Dependent Personality Disorders Patients, and Controls. Psychiatry Research 39:89-98, 1991.
69. Reich J: Using the Family History Method to distinguish Relatives of Dependent personality disorder from relatives of controls. Psychiatry Research 39:227-237, 1991.
70. Goisman RM, Warshaw MG, Petersen LG, Rogers MP, Cuneo P, Hunt M, Tomlin - Albanese JM, Kazim A, Gollan JK, Epstein - Kaye, Reich J, Keller MB: Panic, Agoraphobia, and Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia: Data from a multicenter anxiety disorders study. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 182:72-79, 1994.
71. Reich JR, Perry JC, Shera D, Dyck BS, Vasile R, Goisman RM, Massion AO, Keller M: Comparison of personality disorders in different anxiety disorder diagnoses: Panic, Agoraphobia, Generalized Anxiety, and Social Phobia. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 6:125-134, 1994.
72. Blashfield R, Noyes R, Reich J, Woodman C, Cook BL, Garvey MJ: Personality Disorder traits in Generalized Anxiety and Panic Disorder Patients. Comprehensive Psychiatry 35:329-334, 1994.
73. Reich J: Distinguishing Mixed Anxiety/Depression from Anxiety and Depressive Groups Using the Family History Method. Comprehensive Psychiatry 34:285-289, 1993.
74. Reich J: Prevalence and Characteristics of Sadistic Personality in an Outpatient Veteran Population. Psychiatry Research 48:267-276, 1993.
75. Keller M, Yonker K, Warshaw M, Pratt L, Gollan J, Massion A, White K, Swartz A, Reich J, Lavori P: Remission and Relapse in subjects with panic disorder and panic with agoraphobia. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 182:290-296,1994
76. Reich J, Goldenberg I, Goisman R, Vasile R, Keller M. A prospective follow along study of the course of Social Phobia . Psychiatry Research 54:249-258, 1994.
77. Reich J, Goldenberg I, Goisman R, Vasile R, Keller M. A prospective follow along study of the course of Social Phobia II: testing for predictors of course. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 182:297-301, 1994.
78. Noyes R, Woodman CL, Holt CS, Reich JH, Zimmerman B
Avoidant Personality Traits Distinguishing Patients with Social Phobia and Panic Disorder. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 183:145-153. 1995.
79. Reich J, Braginsky Y. Paranoid Personality Traits in a Panic disorder Population: A Pilot Study. Comprehensive Psychiatry 35:260-264, 1994.
80. Reich J. Morbidity of Dependent Personality Disorder. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 184:22-26, 1996.
81. Reich J. Family history of Generalized Anxiety Disorder compared to that of Major Depressive Disorder, in Males. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 7:71-78, 1995.
82. Reich J. Family history of DSM-III-R Dramatic Personality Disorder Cluster and Functioning in Patients with Major Depressive Disorder. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 183:587-592, 1995.
83. Reich J, Lyons M, Cai B. Familial Vulnerability Factors to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in Male Veterans. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 93(2):105-112, 1996.
84. Noyes R, Burrows GD, Reich J, Judd K, Garvey M, Norman T, Cook B., Marriot P Diazepam versus alprazolam for treatment of Panic Disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 57:349-355, 1996.
85. Goldenberg I, White K, Yonkers K, Reich J, Warshaw M, Goisman R, Keller K. The Infrequency of "Pure Culture" Diagnoses Among the Anxiety Disorders. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 57:528-532, 1996.
86. Vasile RG, Goldenberg I, Reich J, Goisman RM, Lavori PW, Keller MB Panic Disorder versus Panic Disorder with Major Depression: Defining and Understanding Differences in Psychiatric Morbidity. Depression and Anxiety 5:12-20, 1997.
87. Reich J. Antisocial traits in psychiatrically ill veteran without antisocial personality disorder. Psychiatry Research 71:77-82, 1997
88. Reich J. Modifications in Treatment Approaches for Axis I disorders in Patients Who Also Have a Concurrent Axis II Disorder. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy 27(4): 369-383,1997
89. Reich J. The sexual side effects of an SSRI treated by behavioral methods. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 185:707;1997
90. Reich J. The Relationship of Suicide Attempts, Borderline Personality traits, and Major Depressive Disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders 49:2, 151-156, 1998.
90. Reich J. Empirical evidence for ?Stress Induced? Personality Disorders.
Psychiatric Annals 29(12):701-706, 1999.
91. Reich J. Comorbid Anxiety/Depression/Personality: Viewed as
a Possible Stress Induced Personality Disorder Syndrome. Psychiatric
Annals 29(12):707-712, 1999.
92. Reich J. Clinical Correlates of Stress Induced Personality Disorder.
Psychiatric Annals 32(10):581-588, 2002.
93. Reich J.Drug treatment of personality disorder traits. Psychiatric
Annals 32(10):590-596, 2002.
94. Reich J, Hofmann S: State Personality Disorder in Social Phobia. Annals of
Clinical Psychiatry 16:130-144, 2004.
95. Reich J: State and Trait in Personality Disorders. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 19:37-44, 2007.
Books and other freestanding publications:
1. de Girolamo, G and Reich, J.H. (1993) WHO World Mental Health Situation Reports on Epidemiology of Personality disorders. Published by the World Health Organization, Geneva Switzerland.
2. Reich J (Ed.) Personality Disorders: Current Research and Treatments. Taylor and Francis, (in 2005)
1. Emde R, Kligman K, Reich J, et al: Emotional expression in infancy: Initial studies of social signaling and an emergent mode. In, The development of Affect, (eds.) Lewis M, Rosenblum L, Plenum Press, New York, 1978.
2. Reich J, Weissman M: Psychiatric epidemiology. In, Core Readings in Psychiatry, and Annotated Reading List, (eds.) Sachs, Sledge, Rubington, Praeger Scientific, Philadelphia, 1983.
3. Reich J: The Epidemiology of Anxiety. In, New Directions in Mental Health Service. Panic Disorder Clinics, Lamb, Munoz (eds.) Josey Bass Inc. 11-30, 1987.
4. Reich J: Personality Disorders. New Directions in Primary Care W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 14:725-736, 1987.
5. Reich J: Personality and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Etiology, Phenomenology and Treatment. Wolf G, Mosnaid AD eds. American Psychiatric Association, 1990, pp64-80.
6. Reich J: Measurement of DSM-III and III-R borderline personality disorder. In, Borderline Psychopathology. Clarkin JF, Maizioli E, Munroe-Blum H (eds.), Guilford, New York, 1992, pp 116-149.
7. Reich J: Comments on the etiology of personality disorders, In, Etiology of Mental Disorder , E. Kringlen, N.J. Lavik & S. Torgersen (eds.), University of Oslo Department of Psychiatry, Oslo, 1990, pp145-147.
8. Reich J: The MCMI and the DSMIII Anxiety Disorders. In The Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory: A Clinical Research Information Synthesis. (R.J. Craig, Ed) Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc, New Jersey, 1993, pp173 - 181.
9. Reich J & de Giralamo G: Epidemiology of DSM-III Personality Disorders in the Community and in Clinical Populations. In Personality Disorders in Different Cultures - a report from the WHO Collaborative Study (Loranger A & Jance A, eds), Cambridge England, Cambridge University Press, 1997, pp43-52.
10. Reich J: (2000) The Relationship of Social Phobia to the Personality Disorders. In From Social Anxiety to Social Phobia: Multiple perspectives. Pp. 148-161. (Hofmann S.G. & DiBartolo, P.M., eds.) Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights, MA.
11. Reich J, Girolamo G: Diagnosis and classification of personality disorders. Personality Disorders. In The New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry, (Gelder, MG, Lopez-Ibor &Andreasen NC, Eds.) Oxford University Press, London, 2000
12. Reich J, Drug treatment of personality disorder traits, in Reich J (Ed.) Personality Disorders: Current Research and Treatments. Taylor and Francis, (2005), pp127-146.
13. Reich J, State and Trait in Personality Disorders, in Reich J (Ed.) Personality Disorders: Current Research and Treatments. Taylor and Francis, (2005) pp 3-20.
14. Reich J, Clinical Description of a case of Dependent Personality Disorder, in
WPA/ISSPD Educational Program on the Personality Disorders (Simonsen E, Rononningstam E Millon T (Eds.) 2006, World Psychiatric Association, p182-184.
15. Reich J, Girolamo G: Diagnosis and classification of personality disorders. Personality Disorders. In The New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry, (Gelder, MG, Lopez-Ibor &Andreasen NC, Eds.) Oxford University Press, London, (in press)
Review Articles in Referred Journals:
1. Reich J: The relationship between antisocial behavior and affective
illness. Comprehensive Psychiatry 26:296-303, 1985.
2. Reich J: The epidemiology of anxiety. J Nerv Ment Disease 174:129- 136, 1986.
3. Reich J, Neenan P: Principles common to different short term psychotherapies. Am J Psychotherapy XL:62-69, 1986.
4. Reich JH, Green AI: Effect of personality disorders on outcome of treatment. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 179:74-83, 1991.
5. Reich J, Vasile R: The effect of personality disorders on the treatment outcome of Axis I conditions: an update. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 181:475-484,1993.
6. Reich J: Commentary on the treatment of personality disorders. Abstracts of Clinical Care Guidelines, 7(5):12-13, 1995.
7. Reich J: The Relationship of Social Phobia to the Personality Disorders.
Euorpean Psychiatry 15: 151-159, 2000.
8. Reich J:The effect of Axis II disorders on the Outcome of Treatment of
Anxiety and Unipolar Depressive Disorders. Journal of Personality
Disorders 17: 387-405, 2003.
9. Reich J: Avoidant Personality Disorder and its Relationship to Social
Phobia. Current Psychiatry Reports, in press.
Letters in Journals:
1. Reich J: State vs trait in mental disorders. Am J Psychiatry 146:568-569, 1989.
2. Reich J: Treatment of social phobia. J Clin Psychiatry 50:437, 1989.
3. Reich J: Trends in Research. Am J Psychiatry 150:1910, 1993.
4. Reich J: The use of high dose Olanzapine in Refractory Cases of
Psychosis. Am J Psychiatry 156:661, 1999.
5. Reich J: Personality Ratings of Depressed Outpatients
Am J Psychiatry 156:1124, 1999.
5. Reich J: Measured Personality Change After Treatment, Am J
Psychiatry 159:156, 2002.
6. Reich J: Diagnostic stability of personality disorders. Am J Psychiatry
7. Reich, J: ?Empirical evidence for a state personality group?
Annals of Clinical Psychiatry, vol 17(3), 2005
8. Reich J: ?Narcissitic Entitlement.? Under section ?Treating Antisocial Personality Disorder (by Fink). Clinical Psychiatry News, 34:9, p18, 2006
9. Reich J: Empirical Findings on Legal Difficulties Common to Practicing Psychiatrists: A Review. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry" (in press)
Family history for DSM-III anxiety and personality disorder clusters (FHPD).